Liver Transplant: Prognosis, Survival and Life Expectancy

liver transplant surgery in pune

Liver transplant surgery is a life-saving or life-altering surgery that comes with its challenges and repercussions. This surgery helps replace a damaged life or a damaged part of it with a healthy one; however, the patient’s body resists the donor’s liver in many cases.

When do you need a liver transplant?

  • Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
  • Excessive consumption of alcohol
  • Biliary Atresia
  • Chronic Hepatitis B or C

The liver transplant survival rate:-

According to a study, the survival rate from a liver transplant shows that 75% of them live for at least 5 years, the rest 25% may die within 5 years.

The survival rate depends upon a few factors:-

  • Whether the donor is alive or not- A liver transplant from a living donor will provide more chances of survival than a dead donor.
  • How the patient’s body reacts to it- In many cases, after the transplant, the donated liver fails as the patient’s body resists it. Sometimes the disease may return to the newly transplanted liver.
  • Transplant institution- The liver transplant survival rates also depend upon its center. You can check them out at the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients.
  • Surgical method- Since this is a life-saving surgery, the method is very risky. If not performed correctly, the patient may suffer from bile duct damage, heavy blood loss, etc., which might prove fatal.

Recovery process:-

Following the surgery, a patient must be at rest for 6-12 months until he/she can return to their normal routine. You may need to visit the doctor frequently to check the status of your recovery. Additionally, you will need to gulp down anti-rejection meds lifelong quit smoking or drinking.


You should hand this surgery over to someone professional and efficient in his field. Dr. Ujjwal Zambare Pune has brilliant records in this surgery.